In this tutorial I will show you the steps to make your own free dynamic dns for your web server…
- Take a domain for your site. Free domains you can find at dyndns. You have just to create an account and then to make your own domain!
- Install ddclient that updates the dns with the current IP (for the linux distribution with the apt-get package manager like ubuntu and debian run the command: #apt-get install ddclient) and then make the configuration of this.
- For a future reconfiguration of ddclient run the command: #dpkg-reconfigure ddclient
- If you have a router and you don’t know how to take the current IP make a script with the name take_ip.sh that will contain the text of the bullet and put it under $HOME directory (don’t forget to change the mod to executable: #chmod +x take_ip.sh)
- wget -q -O – http://www.whatismyip.org/
- Now change the line use=… of the /etc/ddclient.conf file with that of the bullet in order to be found the current IP by the daemon (ddclient)
- use=cmd, cmd=$HOME/take_ip.sh
After those steps you will have your own dynamic DNS that will be updated with your current IP every time the daemon runs (this time was set during the configuration of the ddclient).